I am excited to announce my selection as a member of the BlazeSports America 2011 National Boccia Team! I am proud to have the opportunity to represent our country this August in Belfast, Ireland for the 2011 Boccia World Cup. The selection was tough, and I am one of eight athletes who have the opportunity to travel to Ireland and wear red, white and blue, and try to bring home the gold.
I started Boccia 18 years ago. I practice several times a week and have competed in regional and national events. Last year I participated in our National Championships, which were held in Chicago. I placed first in individual play,and as a team placed second. With my selection into Team USA, I will be practicing daily to prepare for the Boccia World Cup. Our goal is to bring home the gold, and I need your help to reach this goal.
In order to practice and attend the Boccia World Cup, I need to raise at least $7500. This covers training costs, the entry fee, travel costs and my uniform. It also covers the travel costs of my personal care aid, who will help with my personal care needs while I am competing on the National Boccia Team in Ireland. As the national coordinating body for the sport of Boccia and a member organization of the U.S. Olympic Committee, BlazeSports America is helping with fund-raising by creating sponsorship levels for the National Boccia Team. Your donation is 100% tax deductible, and will lower the financial burden on my family and me. Will you be a proud supporter of Team USA? Will you help us bring home the gold?
If you have any questions on the sponsorship levels, please contact the Jeff Jones, Director of Sports and Recreation at BlazeSports national headquarters. He can be reached at either jjones@blazesports.org or 404.270.2000.
On behalf of myself and my fellow teammates, thank you in advance for your most generous support!
Boccia (pronounced /ˈbɒtʃə/ BOCH-ə) is a traditional recreational sport, similar to bocce. The name Boccia is derived from the Latin word for ball – bottia. The sport is competed at national and international level, by athletes who require a wheelchair because of physical disability. It was originally designed to be played by people with cerebral palsy but now includes athletes with other severe disabilities affecting motor skills. In 1984 it became a Paralympic sport, and in 2008 was being practiced in over fifty countries worldwide.[1] Boccia is governed by the Cerebral Palsy International Sports and Recreation Association (CPISRA) and is one of three Paralympic sports that have no counterpart in the Olympic program.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment